Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Runway vs. Everyday

I think the work, skill and creativity it takes to be a fashion designer is tremendous; I'm so happy there are many successful people out there doing it. I love that I can walk into a store and find the perfect shirt, and the only way I have to contribute is by making the purchase. Somebody else put the work into creating exactly what I was looking for. Now it does happen from time to time when I see something and think "This is so me, I should have been the one to make this!"...but I'm sure I'm not the only one:).  My original point is that it really does blow my mind sometimes by the creativity that's out there.
With that, I  have to say  that I am entirely not on board when I see something so far fetched and unwearable, that I question the designers skill altogether. I understand that not every design sketched is for the purpose of everyday wear. An amazing couture photo shoot, for example, would require some of these designs, or an amazing ad campaign. I get it. But to create a whole line with these bizarre outfits just doesn't seem like an efficient way to spend your time or fabric. To prove my point, I have included a few examples... And these are all very real.










1 comment: